I’m sure we’ve all wondered at one point or another, ‘What’s the best skincare prep to do before applying my make up?’ So below is listed step-by-step on how to achieve the best skin care routine. I’ve also included photos of some of my favorite products in each category. Please let me know if you’ve any questions or comment below.
Best Skincare Prep Before Makeup Application:
- Clean the face: Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser. I Love using mescaline water, or an oil cleanser, as they are gentle yet very effective. With oil cleanser wet your face with lukewarm water and use your fingertips to apply oil, then gently wipe away residual makeup, dirt or debris. Resist the temptation to scrub your skin. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel. Mescaline water is great on the go, as it doesn’t require water. Take a cotton Bud or round and again gently wipe away and residual makeup, dirt or debris.
- Tone the face: once thought to be a redundant routine for the health of your skin, toning now has dermatologists agreeing there are positive, visible effects seen on your skin long term. There are a lot of great and inexpensive toners on the market and the main function of these toners is to remove any residual or remaining makeup on the face that may have been left behind, as well as to close the pores which are opened in the cleansing process.
- Apply Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is a multi-functioning, naturally occurring molecule found in the human body. Hyaluronic acid holds nearly 1,000 times its weight in water. This is important to help plump and moisturize the skin. Especially if you live in a drier climate. For best results apply every 24 hours.
- Apply moisturizer: Super important, yet highly a neglected routine is to moisturize our skin. No matter what type of skin you have, no skincare routine is complete without moisturizing. It acts as a protective barrier against day today the accumulation of dirt and daily elements. For dry skin, a heavier moisturizer is required ( I love Skin Food by Wella ), whereas, for oily skin, a light oil-free moisturizer will do. Keep in mind, when moisturizing your face, not to forget your lips! Your lips have the thinnest skin and are prone to tearing. The eye zone should be managed with a light moisturizer as well. You should NEVER skip your moisturizer, even if it’s the summer months. I would however suggest a moisturizer with a built in SPF 50. This will provide protection from sun damage and helps skin stay healthy. One of my favorites, listed below, is Murad. Not only does it have an SPF 30, it also has essential vitamin C. Vitamin C is great for building collagen in the skin, which keeps us looking younger longer.
- Let skin dry and soak in all the moisture:Before you move on to your foundation, allow the moisturizer a chance to sink into the skin. Give it at least 5 minutes. I like to start on my brows and eye look to allow for maximum dry time. Let me know in the comments below if this routine help you. Stay clean & hydrated my friends